Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Song of the....whenever I feel like it

I completely dropped the ball on this. At first I was upset but then I realized that something I do for fun on my blog should not add any more stress into my life. From there I decided to do a SOTW post whenever the mood struck me.

This yet another Ellis song. I know, it's a little ridiculous that so many of the songs I've picked have been by him but....that's why he's my fave. This song came across my Ip.od driving home from work tonight. It was playing as I was thinking about my answer to some of the book tour questions, namely, am I paying attention to what I need to be paying attention to? It is something I've really been struggling with, especially as I get deeper and deeper into this IF craziness.

Live in the Now from the album Carnival of Voices
I've got a farm house,

It's a big white farmhouse
And forty acres in my head

You got a kitchen,
It's an oak floor kitchen
And a big brass feather bed

And there in the parlor,
An old upright piano
And a precocious blue-eyed kid
Playing the keys
Playing the keys

Live in the now
A room with a view of Cambridge
Live in the now
Traffic, noise, and neighborhood kids

We're sitting in the kitchen
You reach cross the table
And put a finger on my wrinkled brow
You say, "Live in the now,
Live in the now"

'Cause life is what happens
When you're busy making plans
That's what John Lennon said
Then he quit the fuckin' band

Tell me which part
Is it the castle, or the sand
That you miss when the tide comes along?

I'm alone on a highway
Only silos break the view
A field of sunflowers
A scarecrow paying dues

And I think to myself
"Man, that's not what I'd choose "
But here I am, and look where I've gone
All for the song
Till the tide comes along

Live in the now
An audience is waiting
Live in the now
Whose day are you creating?

I slip into to the hotel
I put the phone on a pillow
Your voice makes it better somehow
You say, "Live in the now"
"Live in the now"

Two lines in this really get to me: "Whose day are you creating?" and "I think to myself, man that's not what I'd chose, but hear I am". "Whose day are you creating" I certainly wish I knew. Because a lot of the time, it's not often a day I want to be a part of. I need to make sure I'm paying attention to the things that matter to me and that make my day. I feel like I end up in that latter situation FAR too often. Things aren't how I want, but here I am, gotta go with the flow.

I don't know if I've been paying attention to the right things but from here on out, I'm going to Live in the Now

No comments: